Education, studies

Starting university

1. What does the Statement include I sign when I enroll?
If you enroll/enrolled in September 2013 or later, you no longer need to sign the Student Contact, but rather the so-called Statement. In it, you agree to the following:

  • obtain a degree within one and a half times the duration of the programme of study (Duration of programme of studies for the TTK courses: 6 semesters for BSc, 4 semesters for MSc). This means that a diploma should be obtained in 9 semesters for BSc and 6 semesters for MSc)
  • if you do not obtain a degree within this period, you have to pay 50% of the cost of your programme of study
  • if you do not work the equivalent of the duration of your studies within 20 years after leaving university, you will have to repay the amount of tuition fees increased by inflation (one semester, i.e. 5 months, corresponds to 150 days of work, and if you work some of these days, you will have to pay less).

Some important information about the validity of the Statement:

  • if someone is dismissed because of the 6 exams rule, re-enrols for any other reason, or transfers to another course, the question arises whether they have to pay for their “old” course, which they have not technically completed. The answer is that if you continue your studies within a year (whether you have been re-admitted or transferred to another course), it is still considered “continuous” and you do not have to pay 50% of the cost of your training.
  • only the semesters with public scholarship are counted towards the repayment of the study costs, not the semesters with a private scholarship.
  • You may decide in the meantime that the university you are enrolled at is not suitable for you. In this case, if you drop out after one semester, you don’t have to pay anything – so everyone is entitled to half a year of “think about it”.
    Read more about this in the Education Office’s information note.

2. What happens if I do not sign the Student Statement (“cholarship contract”)?
You will not be able to start your studies at the university with state funding.

3. Can I start university with a passive semester?
At the beginning of each semester, you must declare whether you wish to be an active or passive student at the University. You must already have made a choice as a freshman, so you can start your studies as a passive student. You can declare this in Neptune under the Administration tab under Enrolment/Registration.

4. What can I do if I have not enrolled when I should have?
You can use a fairness request to allow you to enrol after the deadline. In the “default” case, you must enrol in the week of registration; you can enrol in the first week of instruction as well, but this is subject to a surcharge. After that, you can only enrol with passive status until 14 October or 14 March (autumn/spring semester).

5. How, when and for how long can I apply for a student loan? Do I need to do it again every six months?
Student loans can be applied for at the Diákhitel Központ (Student Loan Centre) at any time during the semester for the semester in question. Once you have applied, the Student Loan Centre will automatically disburse the amount requested if you are still a student. To cancel the loan, simply notify the Student Loan Centre. Detailed information can be found at

6. When is enrolment?
See on the website of Központi Tanulmányi Hivatal (Central Office of Student Affairs). During registration week.

7. I didn’t show up for registration, what should I do?
You can still do it until the end of the first week of the term by registering with an active semester as part of a late enrollment. After that, you can only register with a passive semester, until 14 October for the autumn semester and 14 March for the spring semester.

8. Do I only need to register at the start of the training?
You only need to register for the first semester, but you must register for an active or passive semester at the beginning of each semester.

9. How many times can I register for a passive semester?
You have a total of 4 passive semesters, but you can only have 2 passive semesters in a row, if you passivate after that your student status will be terminated.

Start of semester/subjects

1. If I forget to set myself to “active” during registration week, what consequences can I expect?
You can request the reactivation of your passive semester by the end of the second week of your studies by submitting an application in Neptun, provided that you meet all the requirements for registering for an active semester. Regulations may make the post-activation of a semester subject to the payment of fees.

2. I cannot take a course. What could be the problem?
An overdue payment obligation with an active status may prevent you from enrolling. When retrieving these, always select All semesters, not just the last. Check if you have no scholarship repayment obligations. If you can’t take only one course, check its prerequisites. If there are still errors, contact the Dékáni Hivatal (Dean’s Office), including Mária Vida.

3. What happens if I remain on the waiting list for a course at the end of the registration week?
If the course is part of your sample curriculum and you have the prerequisites, you can still take the course by extending the course or starting a new course. For electives, this is not guaranteed. If you are still on the waiting list after the second week of the term, you should contact the department administrator to see if you can be removed from the course or if you can be made permanent by increasing the number of students in the course. This is because if your status remains on the waiting list, you will not be able to sit for the exam at the end of the semester.

4. How and for how long can I put my semester on passive status?
You can withdraw your registration until 14 October for the autumn semester and until 14 March for the spring semester. After that date, you cannot register or withdraw for the semester in question.

5. What should I do if the practical course I want to take is full, but there are still places on other courses in the same subject?
Unfortunately, the capacity of teachers and departments is finite, so courses cannot be extended indefinitely, if it is possible, it is recommended to add another course, or to exchange a course with another student.

6. Two of my courses clash and I can’t schedule them to be on different dates. What should I do?
If mandatory or optional courses fall in different semesters according to the model curriculum, we cannot help you with conflicts. Otherwise, you should report your problem to the HK, who will pass it on to the Dean’s Office.

7. I failed to take my mandatory courses without a collision, what can I do?
The mandatory subjects and courses of the model curriculum must be taught in such a way that all students can meet the requirements of the model curriculum. The head of the educational department responsible for the subject is responsible for the announcement of the courses, so you should first contact them. Alternatively, it is worth communicating the complaint to the HK so that they can take action.

8. What should I do if ALL of the announced courses in a particular subject are full and I cannot take the subject, even though I have met the prerequisites?
If the subject is not offered or optional in this semester, we are not able to deal with it. Otherwise, you should report your problem to the HK, who will forward it to the Dean’s Office.

9. Is there anything that can be done about the clash of cross semester subjects?
Unfortunately, we can only offer the lessons of the model curriculum without any conflicts in all cases.

10. What is a pre-requisite?
The pre-requisite requirement for a subject may be the prior fulfilment of a subject or criterion, or the signature of a subject leading to an examination, or the simultaneous enrolment in a subject.

11. How many times can you take a subject?
6 times, if you fail 6 times, you can be dismissed from university. For this reason, if you are approaching the critical number, it is worth trying for a re-entry, as in this case your spent opportunities will be reset to zero.

12. How many credits can I take for free?
“A student participating in a state scholarship course may take courses with a credit value exceeding the total number of credits required by ten per cent in his/her individual study plan, without paying any extra costs or reimbursement of expenses.”
Thus, 18 extra credits can be taken free of charge for BSc and 12 credits for MSc courses (in addition to the 180 and 120 credits required for the degree). This applies to the credits taken. For each additional credit taken (even if it is a sample subject), a fee of HUF 4500 per credit will be charged.

13. Can I pre-take MSc courses as a BSc?
Yes, if you have the prerequisites, but this also counts towards the +10% of credits you can take. In Physics, this is as follows: for non-Masters students, there are separate BSc prerequisites for the Masters courses. These can be found at:
There may be problems with the admission of a subject, in which case you should contact the HK and/or the Dean’s Office for assistance.

14. I am in debt, but the money will not reach the collection account until the end of the subject taking period. What should I do?
You can apply to take a course retroactively until 23:59 on the first day of the second week of the course, which will be decided by the KTB, but only if there are places available on the course.

15. How can I take a course from another university?
In order to take a course at another university, you need to be a visiting student at that university. This requires prior permission from the KTB (in order for the course to be accepted here later) and the host university’s permission. After completion, you can have the course accredited for your BME course.


1. The Neptun timetable does not show certain subjects, what about them?
Neptun often displays the timetable incorrectly, but this does not mean that you do not have a class. Often, fixed times are only entered at the last minute, or you have to check with the teacher to make an appointment because of the small number of students.

2. Can I change my Neptun code?
No, the reason is that the code is generated based on three pieces of personal data according to a specific algorithm. Therefore, it will only change if the personal data specified differs from that used for a previous code.

3. What should I do if there is a change to my personal data? Do I have to report it in the Neptun?

You are required to notify us of any changes in your personal data within 8 days. If there has been a change in your data that you need to provide documentary evidence of, you must notify the controller in person, presenting the original document at the same time.

Physical education

1. How many PE subjects do I need to complete for a BSc?
For a BSc course, you must complete a total of 2 semesters of physical education.

2. How many PE subjects do I need to complete for an MSc?
There is no compulsory physical education course in the MSc programme.

3. If I have completed my compulsory PE, can I still do sports at a discounted price at the university?
Yes, you can, but you need to take one of the following PE courses (1/A,B,C; 2/A,B,C that you have not yet completed), and the PE Centre offers other sports outside of the classroom, which you can find out about on their website.

4. Are there financial consequences if I do not complete the PE course?
If you do not complete the physical education course, there is no financial penalty. However, if you re-enroll in the following semester, you will have to pay 4500 HUF for the re-enrolment.

5. Which physical education subjects must be completed?
In BSc courses, there is only one compulsory physical education subject, in which case you must take 1 of 1/A, 1/B or 1/C, or 1 of 2/A, 2/B, 2/C. The A courses are free courses, the B PE courses have a fee of 6,000 HUF due to the financial implications of the sports, and you can take the C course if you are exempted due to health problems or being a certified athlete.

Language course

1. What is a 0 credit language course? What do I need to know about it?
In 0 credit language courses you have the opportunity to study English, French, German, Italian and Spanish from beginner to advanced level, 1×2 /1 unit/ or 2×2/2 units/week. You will have 8 free language units at bachelor level, 4 at master level and 12 free language units at postgraduate level.

2. Is it mandatory to study the 0 credit language in the curriculum?
It’s not compulsory, but you must have a state-recognised intermediate level complex language exam to graduate.

3. If my free language credits run out, how can I continue to study languages at the University?
If you have run out of language units, don’t despair, because you can still take language courses at 13000Ft/unit /a fraction of the market price/ and if you have a B2 level, you can choose the other large group of language courses, the language credit courses, 1×2 hours per week, free of charge, each worth 2 credits.

4. Until when can I drop the 0-credit language course(s) I have taken?

You can request to add or drop a subject or course via Neptun by 23:59 on the first day of the second week of classes. The Director of the Foreign Language Centre will decide on the request. If a subject or course is to be added or dropped for reasons other than the student’s or the Centre’s fault, the opinion of the Faculty Studies Committee of the student’s home faculty must be sought.

5. How many language courses do I need to complete for my degree?
You do not have to complete a language course to get your diploma, but you must have a complex intermediate language exam.

6. What languages can I study in?
At our University, courses are offered in English, Hungarian, German, French and Russian.